Melody Smith, M.S.
Umoja is a Kiswahili word meaning unity. It is an academic learning community and resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American students and others. Umoja advances academic excellence, community building, and student leadership as its program goals.
Students will enroll in a yearlong program where they will take linked classes by Umoja trained professors. The Umoja community will allow for strong bonds to be developed by students, professors, mentors, and counselors.
- Counseling: Academic, Career and Personal
- Learning Communities
- Local Field Trips to University of California and California State Universities
- Trip to Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Cultural Events
- Textbook Rental Assistance
- Guest Speakers
- Student Success Workshops
Learning Community Classes
Counseling 40: College Success Seminar
English 28: Intermediate Reading and Composition
English 101: College Reading and Composition
History 41: African American History in the United States
Sociology 11: Race and Ethnic Relations
Math 125: Intermediate Algebra